Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Bug Report
 Upgrade to V7 problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Rincewind

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  12:12:09  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Well now I know why I didnt want to upgrade to a later version :-(.
Sadly forced to to this by a script bug (see IMDB (complete) under scripts) I have downloaded and installed V7.

The install seems to work OK but I then get stuck in a loop on converting the database.

Specifically, the New XMM launches. detects the default data directory (presumably from the old config file) spots its an old database and tries to convert it.
I am then told the backup directory does not exist and I specify one. Then the conversion process.
Then the attempt to load the new database in XMM followed by the message "XMM has detected its an old database and will try to convert it!!"
And the cycle repeats except the next time it discovered a .mdb.old and sulks because it cant create a backup.
The it goes away and repeats the process with the sample database!!

So what now?
TFAI

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4637 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  17:59:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5308&SearchTerms=convert,from,old,database

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Rincewind

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  17:24:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry but I am not clear exactly how that is supposed to help
What left orb? If the left orb is in XMM7, how exactly am I supposed to get there?
Please read the post. I get no option to click anything on XMM.
Everything described happens without my intervention
Perhaps you have another suggestion?
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4637 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  17:43:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, I thought the link would solve the problem.
1. Move your old database with all subfolders to another folder (keep a second copy to be on the safe side).
2. Start XMM
3. Top left in XMM there is a white orb with a blue arrow. Click on it for the menu.
4. Go to "Database Utilities" -> "Convert old Database from 5.x/6.x"
This way you'll don't stuck in that loop you described.
Another user had the same problem a short time ago. It only happens on upgrading from 6 to one of the latest 7 releases.

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Rincewind

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  19:26:55  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry to be difficult but do PLEASE READ MY POST.
When I start XMM it goes through the process I have described. I do nothing. I merely start the program from the start Menu. I get no chance to interact with it in any way.
This time, I rename both XMM data directories (the old V5 directory and the new directory I have created for v7)
Start XMM 7
select a language
and a window pops up - database is from an old release etc etc
and off we go again.

I rename the two default directories (in c:\D&S\username\documents\extreme etc\databases
and try again. This time I get Default database does not exist . . .. example database will be loaded
It does some stuff and the a pop up window which disappears
Then stuff about don't have the drivers a web page will up opened (which it isn't)
If I keep cancelling, closing windows etc eventually XMM7 starts up. This is progress!!!
so I tell XMM7 to convert the database (which it does) and then it says XMM starting up.
Next thing I get is "Please Wait, Requery Database" followed by "Could not load System.Enterpriseservices.Wrapper.dll etc etc". A bit of googling suggests this is something to do with .NET so I try to download (OK) and install .Net from the BinaryWorks.IT website. Install produces ".NET incompatible with installed version. Terminating"

So now what?
Why is it so hard?

Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4637 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  19:51:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Please deinstall XMM and install the full version from the download page. Maybe inclusive the required files.
If there are still errors like now then check your .net installation. Maybe you have to repair it (dotnetfx maybe will help you with).
When XMM starts correctly process with your old database like I said in my previous post.
If that doesn't help: please write an email to alessioviti at binaryworks.it. Ale will surely have a solution for you...

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.21 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07