Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager 8, 9, 10 Forum
 Information
 Import matroska .mkv tags?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cyana
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  00:12:20  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

I have a big tagged .mkv movie collection and would like to know if I can import all these tags (cover, actors, producers, description, genre and so on) into XMM? These tags are visible in windows 10, also the cover shows up as icon for the video.

best greetings and thanks!
cyana

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4635 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  01:21:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, that's not implemented in XMM.
Anyway, I personally haven't seen any mkv containing this info myself...

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

cyana
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  22:38:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your reply! Would be worth a script, I guess.
There is a shareware tool called MKV Tag Editor, that works great and imports all tags and covers from THEMOVIEDB.ORG into your mkv file.
If you want give it a try, you can find it here:
https://www.3delite.hu/Object%20Pascal%20Developer%20Resources/MKVTagEditor.html

best greetings
cyana
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4635 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  23:52:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Reading those tags are no real problem as the MediaInfo.dll is able to get that info out of a movie file but I think that too less people use these tags.
I could try to make such a plugin if enough users ask for it but as said I don't think that it will be more than a handful. And of course it's depending on the files the people have in their collection. I personally have only 1 or 2 movies to which a cover is attached but no other info...

In order to achieve what is possible, you have to try the impossible over and over again.
Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

cyana
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  14:36:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think it would be a great addition to read/write those tags into mkv files. More and more smart tvs are able to read these tags, Windows does it and also Mac/iOS I think. So this would add a completely new paradigm to XMM.

I certainly would be willing to pay for it. Also XMM9 does not work for me, it does not import anything from the web but if it could read the tags this would be enough for me.

best greetings and thanks
Cyana
Go to Top of Page

cyana
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  15:10:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In addition, I think you could make a fortune when you would come up with an Android/SmartTV version of XMM that would access the movies stored on an USB/NAS and display them like Netflix, alo searchable for actors and so on, with a connection to start the movie right from XMM. Everyone would buy it. There is nothing like that for SmartTVs at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4635 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  17:35:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
1. Reading such tags, okay, would be a nice gimmick but a database program is not really mentioned to write those tags.
2a. Android/SmartTV version - I fully agree with you. Unfortunately I'm only a "windows programmer" with very old delphi 7 knowledge and without any experience in the languages I would have to use for.
2b. Alessio is the sole programmer of XMM. Therefor I don't wanna make a clone of his still great program.

quote:
Also XMM9 does not work for me, it does not import anything from the web
That's not possible as I use several scripts myself.
TheMovieDB, TheTVDb, OFDB and IMDB are working very well.

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1024 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  20:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello guys,

Reading/writing tags to movie files was already requested for years (http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8857) so I don't think it will ever happen. I also would like this feature, but not only for mkv but also for other (container) formats like mp4 or avi. An external plugin not really would help as you can use one of the already existings taggers just as well. This has to be integrated into the core software like in all the music managment databases with integrated tagger. In the meantime you can use a workaround - at least for data export from xMM: you can export movie metadata as "external" NFO-File. Together with a cover picture you can export this file into the movie file folder. Most media server software is able to read this files and integrate this data into the server database. I don't think that it makes sense to reinvent the wheel and create a xMM media center version. You will not be able to compete with already existings solutions. Try one of this nice programs around (Kodi, Plex, Mezzmo,...) and use xMM to do the preliminary work. xMM should focus on basic movie management, whis is hard enough as the programmer seems to have lost interest in his software.

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien

Edited by - Mawu on 16 Dec 2017 20:57:56
Go to Top of Page

JDommi
Administrator

Germany
4635 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  09:09:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Good answer, Mawu!

Hermann Hesse
Go to Top of Page

cyana
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  14:18:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Try one of this nice programs around (Kodi, Plex, Mezzmo,...)"

The idea was to avoid a media server solution. To access a USB/NAS drive you don't need a media server sitting on your desktop machine and running all the time. Also, the programs you mention all have difficulties with tags.

"That's not possible as I use several scripts myself."
All I get is the Cloud logo indicating that XMM is trying to fetch the data over the web. But it never fills the db, even when I let run it over night. What am I doing wrong?

thanks and best greetings
Cyana
Go to Top of Page

Mawu

Germany
1024 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  16:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Mawu's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cyana
The idea was to avoid a media server solution. To access a USB/NAS drive you don't need a media server sitting on your desktop machine and running all the time. Also, the programs you mention all have difficulties with tags.

If you want a Netflix-like user experience you have to use a software that is able to provide an appropriate interface and backend. This is
commonly done by a media server software, that can - by the way - also running directly on the NAS (e.g. Plex).
NFO instead of "real" tags should work as it is a standard in Kodi and is established since the XBMC days.
If you will take a deeper look into xMM you will see that it's also possible to create a kind of index in HTML of all movies (in ribbon "My Devices", export with html templates). Maybe this can fullfill your needs even when it's very rudimentary.

quote:
All I get is the Cloud logo indicating that XMM is trying to fetch the data over the web. But it never fills the db, even when I let run it over night. What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried the xMM help sources?
http://www.binaryworks.it/cgi-bin/data/wiki/doku.php?id=start

There are also some tutorials on youtube.

www.schlemmerkino.de - Die Nr.1 für filmische Leckereien
Go to Top of Page

cyana
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  19:16:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your reply. I've looked into the script engine, and it permanently produces a SystemOutOfMemoryException

I'm on win10x64, Xeon ES-2697 14core @ 2.60GHz, 32GB RAM
Out of memory is not really an option ;)

I'm not using a NAS, just an USB drive directly connected to the TV.

best greetings and thanks
Cyana

Edited by - cyana on 17 Dec 2017 21:23:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.21 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07