Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 eXtreme Movie Manager (Rel. 7), No More Updates
 Suggestions / New Features
 Totally Wrong Direction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Laffer
Starting Member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  23:14:24  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Alessio,
EMM 6.x worked fine and FAST. It did what I wanted perhaps other than very simple TV series imports (I just wanted to point it at a directory, EMM should have been able to figure out the rest).

The only other thing I wanted was a slick browser ala Media Browser (http://www.mediabrowser.tv)

The new interface is not to my liking. I have managed to "loose" the main display and cannot figure out how to get it back. I think this was impossible on 6.x and also editing was far easier on 6.x. I tried to edit in 7 and found myself in this situation.

Please concentrate on what this app is supposed to do (1) Make it easy to import info on movies and TV series from the internet. I also believe (2) have a slick browser mode for selecting what you want to watch.

I do thank you for your hard work but I believe you have headed off in a direction you do not need to go. At this point I consider EMM 7.x a huge step backwards - it is extremely slow (on a powerful computer) and very frustrating/not easy to use.

Laffer.
PS You should take the time to have a look at Media Browser. The way it discovers and retrieves info on TV series is especially impressive (fully auto as long as file naming follows one of a number of common conventions) Films too are retrieved well. But from a public DB that is not as populated as IMDB.

EMM shoud be the Media Browser that does not need media Centre to run.

MikeH.

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  02:48:11  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Laffer

Alessio,
EMM 6.x worked fine and FAST. It did what I wanted perhaps other than very simple TV series imports (I just wanted to point it at a directory, EMM should have been able to figure out the rest).

The only other thing I wanted was a slick browser ala Media Browser (http://www.mediabrowser.tv)

The new interface is not to my liking. I have managed to "loose" the main display and cannot figure out how to get it back. I think this was impossible on 6.x and also editing was far easier on 6.x. I tried to edit in 7 and found myself in this situation.

Please concentrate on what this app is supposed to do (1) Make it easy to import info on movies and TV series from the internet. I also believe (2) have a slick browser mode for selecting what you want to watch.

I do thank you for your hard work but I believe you have headed off in a direction you do not need to go. At this point I consider EMM 7.x a huge step backwards - it is extremely slow (on a powerful computer) and very frustrating/not easy to use.

Laffer.
PS You should take the time to have a look at Media Browser. The way it discovers and retrieves info on TV series is especially impressive (fully auto as long as file naming follows one of a number of common conventions) Films too are retrieved well. But from a public DB that is not as populated as IMDB.

EMM shoud be the Media Browser that does not need media Centre to run.

I agree with everything you said. He appears to be headed down the "Vista" path, with lots of eye candy, at the sacrifice of performance. I would have much rather seen more functionality and less window dressing.
Mike H.
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  11:29:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Guys,

I agree that 7.x can have some problems, but the "main" engine is the same as 6.x, only graphics has changed.

I am work hard to make it more faster. As you can see not all function of 6.x are converted yet, but as NOT lose, I will integrate it asap.

Thank you,

Alessio

http://www.facebook.com/pages/eXtreme-Movie-Manager/47220214342?ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

WizardFusion
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  18:29:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am with you guys. I actually downgraded back to the latest v6. The new version is just horrible to use.
The only reason I use/need it is to catalogue my collection. Nothing more.

Please come out with v8 soon with a simpler interface, with way less eye-candy.

I've started looking for alternatives to XMM.

Thanks.

Edited by - WizardFusion on 17 May 2009 18:31:49
Go to Top of Page

donnyj

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  02:14:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I happen to like the new "look" and functionality of v7. BUT, the features that are "lost" when changing from 6 to 7 need to be restored ASAP (please).
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  15:22:25  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi guys,

if you can make a list of missing features ordered by priority, I will try to restore it asap.

@WizardFusion:
Do you use the HTML Card or the QuickEdit view?
If you use the QuickEdit view please REMOVE (by pressing the "x" at top left of the panel) the HTML Card view, XMM will run much faster!!

Let me know,

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  10:17:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I do agree, but not completely. Eye candy is good, as long as it does not affect performance. Alessio seems to try to get a piece of the Media Center solutions which you don't care about. Me neither, but but I guess it's the right choice for expanding the client base. Perhaps it's the time to split versions in "archive" and "multimedia" modes. But first Alessio should try and find out how the majority of users use XMM.

As long as "slow" is concerned, I have a 2.500 entries database with covers etc, and it doesn't seem slow on my Quad 6600. The grid (12 columns)is quite fast, even with the html card on. Could it be that I don't have actor pix?
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  11:23:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Apd,

I think that all speed-problems are only for people that want see the Actors Pictures in the HTML Card. This is why there is the option to NOT show it.

Of course for XMM is time-comsuming find all pictures and link to the HTML if you have a big database (more than 15000 actors).

IMHO if you need to want 1-2 sec to load the HTML is not a big "loss" of time, because when I look to my collection to find a movie to watch I scroll it slowly, to read the plot and other info, so there is no need to scroll all movies "quickly" (I hope that you understand what I wrote, my english is terrible)

Ale

Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  11:19:07  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I understand the problem, but I think the complaint is legitimate. Many people (incl. myself) only use XMM as a collection tool. I think you have added many grat things in v. 7.xx, but there's still a lot missing. At this point, we still don't have serious export capabilities, no dupe finder, no flexibility in pics manager etc. So, in some people's view, you dedicate resources to fix/add aspects that are of no use (to us). That's why I suggested you make a poll, for people to vote on which "side" of XMM should take priority.
Please check my detailed previous posts on bugs and suggestions to add on your checklist ;)
Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  11:32:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
but I think the complaint is legitimate

Yes, yes, of course... I encourage it, really. This help me to better understand what people "want" from XMM.

You are right, I must concentrate to what user want/ask.

quote:
we still don't have serious export capabilities

At this time you can export the main grid in really much format! (pdf, html, excel and so on...), and of course you can use these export files also to print it. I have enable back also the "old" export manager, so the (x)HTML-DB and all old HTML Templates are back.

For pics management, I think that the problem at this time is the drag/drop pictures in the covers manager, that is missing...maybe an integrated image editor?

Thank you as always,

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

donnyj

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  12:19:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I would like to be able to "disable" mediacenter... I don't need or want the 2,000+ files and 500+ folders that are created just for the mediacenter
Go to Top of Page

HaraldBluetooth

Denmark
77 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  15:24:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alessio Viti

Hi Apd,

I think that all speed-problems are only for people that want see the Actors Pictures in the HTML Card. This is why there is the option to NOT show it.

Of course for XMM is time-comsuming find all pictures and link to the HTML if you have a big database (more than 15000 actors).

IMHO if you need to want 1-2 sec to load the HTML is not a big "loss" of time, because when I look to my collection to find a movie to watch I scroll it slowly, to read the plot and other info, so there is no need to scroll all movies "quickly" (I hope that you understand what I wrote, my english is terrible)

Ale

Waaauh a speed gain by disapling the actor pictures - thank you.
Go to Top of Page

apd

Greece
378 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  09:37:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, here's a list of suggestions I offered a while ago:

http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5087

None is implemented so far.

And here's a list of bugs reported at the same time:

http://www.binaryworks.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5086

Most of them remain unresolved.

Go to Top of Page

Alessio Viti
Forum Admin

Italy
9171 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  10:44:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you apd, I will try to do it soon.

Alessio

Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, my English is google translator.

Hi, I'm like interface v.7 really, I see many features that are depleted in V.6 were, but I encourage Alessio go to the editing.

Hola, a mi realmente la interface de v.7 me gusta, veo que quedan mermadas muchas funcionalidades que en V.6 se tenian, pero animo a Alessio a que las vaya modificando.

Upon leaving the V.7 made the mistake of not working simultaneously with V.6 and I have enough new entries in V.7, Alessio, it is possible to move these entries V.6?

Al salir la V.7 cometí el error de no trabajar simultaneamente con la V.6 y he realizado bastantes nuevas entradas en V.7, Alessio, hay posibilidad de pasar estas entradas a V.6?

I am looking to disable the players to go faster, but only see the option to remove players, where you switch off?

Estoy mirando de desactivar los actores para que vaya más rapido, pero solo veo la opción de eliminar actores, donde está la opción de desactivar?

Muchas gracias. Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

washandgo

Spain
257 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  21:05:54  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have found where to enable and disable the actors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.29 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07