BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
BinaryWorks.it Official Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 eXtreme Music Manager
 Information
 First Impressions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mawu Posted - 16 May 2011 : 15:38:57
Hello Alessio!

Although I'm very busy this week I like to write down some very first impressions concerning the new extreme music manager. And as you know me it will be primarily criticism.

The new alpha version has the focus on managment of albums on CD and/or vinyl. There is the question if the whole concept will work when all the mp3 stuff will be integrated. You know that I favour a non-access database format (SQLLite, MS SQL Express, MySQL) but we will see how xMuM with my mp3-collection.

The whole look of the program is similiar to the other managers. What I don't like is the total focus on the albums. There is an additional track view necessary. For example: I want to select an artist in treeview. After selection all albums are displayed in grid/thumbnail view. Then I want an additional view were all tracks of the selected albums are displayed. Also not possible: Selection of an artist and diplay of all tracks of this artist.

You should think about splitting the program into several view modes (like in Helium: music information browser, treeview mode etc.). When you integrate the mp3 stuff you will need for a "jukebox mode" an additional "track view" and also a playlist window. There will be no place on the screen for the nice musiccards.

Treeview is very rudimentary. It would be nice to be able to hide items that are not needed (e.g. I don't really need the "mood" item). Should be completely configurable (creation of nodes, like in MEXP for Winamp or Mediamonkey magic nodes addon) . Also would like to see the possibility to create several librarys and put them into the treeview (Pop/Rock, Klassik, Charts etc., like the concept I described for the MEXP Winamp plugin; also Mediamonkey offers some filters that work in a similar manner). Also missing: "decade" for sorting after release date.

Allmusic script is working fine although some fields are not populated or provided at the moment (e.g. label, album rating and the AMG pick).
For quick recognition of music cds you should think about integrating the freedb engine directly (without Magic script) maybe with access on the offline version of FreeDB (like Exact Audio Copy and MP3Tag do, works like a charm)

Artists/Band: born/died should switch to formed/disbanded for bands and there should be the possibility to use several date formats in the corresponding fields (dd.mm.yyyy and yyyy)

Thumbnail view: coverflow would be nice

So that's all for the moment. If nobody is quicker I will start with german translation within the next days.

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alessio Viti Posted - 25 May 2011 : 20:15:12
At this time every track must be connected to an album. In this case I suggest to create an album that can contains such tracks, maybe "Tracks without album" or something similar.

Of course also an album can contain directly a song, so maybe I can do that.

I will release soon a new beta, the scan function is up and working (of course must be improved )

Thank you!
Mawu Posted - 25 May 2011 : 13:24:14
I think adding a single track is not possible as an important data field is not integrated (or I'm not able to find it): release type.
For example: Album, Anthology, Audiobook, Bootleg,Compilation, DVD, Live Performance, Sampler, Single, Maxi, EP, Sound Effects, Soundtrack, Video (please take also a look at my detailed suggestions in another thread). With release type field integrated you will be able to set the single track as an "album" with release type "Single".

Bye byte
Mawu
JDommi Posted - 25 May 2011 : 10:25:35
How can I add single tracks if it's already possible?
Mawu Posted - 18 May 2011 : 11:11:22
Hi Alessio,

two additional suggestions:
- by using the AMG script I had for the most albums more than one hit, because of different releases (e.g. bonus track, special edition, local editions). It would be useful to have a kind of preview function to be able to select the right album

- cover managment should be more adapted to music stuff by having other/more categories: Front, Back, CD, Inlay, Inlet, Booklet etc. By adding the mp3 stuff there is a need of extended functions: As I store the whole cover stuff in the corresponding album folder there is a need to import covers from the album folder or save imported covers in corresponding folder or directly in the file as a tag; and all this with the right "label" (for example: Artist - Album - Front.jpg, Artist - Album - Back.jpg ...)

Bye Byte and Happy Coding
Mawu
Alessio Viti Posted - 17 May 2011 : 10:08:45
Another thing... As you will see there are many part of the software that are not in the language ini file yet, I will add later, when the software will be almost ready.

I have focus all my work in the Script engine right now, seem to be stable and working.

In few days I will start the MP3 scanner, I think this will be the most important part of the software.
Alessio Viti Posted - 17 May 2011 : 10:01:25
Thank you guys!

I am out this week until friday, so I cannot answer carefully and quick.

Please continue to write your suggestions, I will try to make them all before put the first release online.

Thank you guys!!

Ale
Prinz Posted - 16 May 2011 : 19:01:28
quote:
Originally posted by JDommi

I think for that it would be a good thing to add a checkbox for Band/Artist.

Already there: Band Checkbox
JDommi Posted - 16 May 2011 : 18:14:01
You're right. Mostly only book has to be replaced by album...
Mawu Posted - 16 May 2011 : 17:35:40
@JDommi

Concerning the german translation: I've just downloaded the xMuM yesterday evening so I could only take a short look at the translation. There are many similar expressions in Books and game manager, so that's not a big effort to translate it.
JDommi Posted - 16 May 2011 : 17:25:16
I agree to you Mawu.
The TreeView MUST be user defined as there are too many views that the single user don't ever need.
And of course the trackview has to be there, too. I think Ale already had in mind to add this point...
The born/died problem. I think for that it would be a good thing to add a checkbox for Band/Artist. With that info you can also manage the showing/hiding of other fields like band members, etc.

The german translation... I have begun this morning with it - but only the first 100 strings so far. If you want I can send it to you as you have always done a good job on the translations.

BinaryWorks.it Official Forum © Binaryworks.it Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.22 sec. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07